The SHINE Women Empowerment Group Therapy Programme is focused on post trauma intervention and is developed around the model of Posttraumatic Growth (PTG).
3 Kinds of posttraumatic growth processes forms part of the programme and includes the following:
- Strength through suffering
Produces confidence in facing further difficulties
- Existential re-evaluation
Produces a sense of wisdom, life satisfaction and purpose in life
- Psychological preparedness
Involves creating a rebuilt assumptive world to withstand future shocks to the system
A very important part of the SHINE programme is fashioning a narrative together with the trauma survivor (through storytelling) that respects the horror of trauma while at the same time opening areas of change and development, and encouraging an appreciation for the paradoxical in the trauma experience, so that vulnerability can be strength, and loss is a change that can also be positive.
Programme Outline :
- Programme Introduction
- Domestic Violence and other forms of women abuse
- Value Clarification
- Building relationships
- Stress management
- Managing negative emotions
- Paper dolls (Teen session)
- Women’s health (Includes cancer, healthy living and fetal alcohol syndrome)
- Sex and Sexuality (Teen session – includes STDs, birth control/contraception and teenage pregnancy)
- Grieve and Grieving
- Sharing your LIGHT with the world (Summary and closure)
ONE LESS VICTIM MOVEMENT (PEER DUCATOR’S PROGRAMME)
To empower teen girls to understand the signs and impending dangers of violence in our communities and learning to avoid these potential life threatening problems ranging from bullying to dating violence. This programme also empowers victims to get themselves out of the victim mindset into one of self-confidence and safety.
- Teen Help Teen ( Progamme overview)
- Teen Dating Violence
- Drug Abuse
- Sex and Sexuality
- Teen Suicide
- HIV and AIDS
Peer Educators are trained in the SHINE Women Empowerment Programme to assist them to deal with their own victimisation before they can facilitate the One less Victim Peer Educator programme. The SHINE programme is a therapeutic programme whereas the One less Victim Programme is a didactic violence awareness programme.