Streetscapes, a Khulisa’s flagship programme, provides a model for sustainable urban regeneration and addresses the neglected needs of this very vulnerable population. Departing from typical emergency relief type of services for the homeless, Streetscapes is structured to address their multi-dimensional needs. The ten project sites combined supported employment, psychosocial support and a ‘housing first’ type of accommodation.
Impact over the past 12 months
- Daily attendance rate in the programme was 79%
- Success rate of homeless moving off the streets stands at 79%
- 68 former street people on our Western Cape payroll
- Staff retention rate 66% in past 12 months, 83% in past 3 months
- The earned income by 200 beneficiaries was over R200 million
- 73% reduction in drugs users
- 47 corporate investors, 38 volunteer programs have supported the programme
StreetUni in Cape Town was launched at the beginning of 2019. Its purpose is to attract and facilitate the involvement of young academics in the project.